About Surgical OptionsDepending on your specific retina condition, surgery may be part of your treatment plan. At Retina Consultants of Texas, our experienced, sub-specialized retina surgeons are all board-certified ophthalmologists who have trained at some of the top medical centers and training facilities in the country.
The main types of surgery we perform include:
• Pneumatic Retinopexy
• Scleral Buckle Surgery
Surgical Outcomes and Quality Care
In order to ensure the best possible retinal care and surgical outcomes, Retina Consultants of Texas has also established a quality assurance/surgical outcomes assessment program which is led by two of our physicians and a registered nurse. They routinely review the surgical procedures performed by our retina surgeons, the success rates achieved, and ways to continually improve the quality of care we provide to our valued patients.
Retina Consultants of Texas Surgical Success Rates for Two Common Retinal Conditions:
- Achieved 96 percent success rate among our surgeons in closing macular holes
- Achieved 100 percent success rate in surgically treating acute/new macular holes
- Ninety-three percent of patients experienced improvement or stability in their vision.
- These success rates are higher than the percentages of surgical success typically reported in scientific literature.
Primary Retinal Detachment:
- Average visual acuity before surgery was 20/200 (legally blind), and average visual acuity after surgery was 20/40 (considered driving vision in Texas).
- Achieved successful reattached retina for 94.7 percent of patients
- We were able to use an in-office procedure called pneumatic retinopexy in 15 percent of retinal detachment cases, requiring no hospitalization and achieving total reattachment.