Dr. Patrick Staropoli is a board-certified medical and surgical retina specialist who completed ophthalmology residency and vitreoretinal surgery fellowship at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the top ranked eye hospital in the United States.
He is a published researcher in the areas of retinal detachment, macular disease, and resident education. Colleagues and patients describe Dr. Staropoli as a down-to-earth, relatable physician who cares deeply about his patients.
Dr. Staropoli is also the only doctor in history to win a NASCAR race, and he has used the motorsports platform to advocate and fundraise for community and healthcare issues including breast cancer and celiac disease. He brings a truly unique skill set and personality to Retina Consultants of Texas.
Skills and Specialties
Dr. Staropoli’s expertise covers a broad range of retina problems including age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular holes, epiretinal membranes, retinal detachment, ocular trauma, and endophthalmitis.
Education and Training
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship | Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Ophthalmology Residency | Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Internship | Aventura Hospital
- Medical School | University of Miami
- College | Harvard University
Achievements and Awards
- Over 50 combined scientific research papers and national meeting abstracts
- Heed Fellowship Recipient
- American Society of Retina Specialists Grand Rounds Winner
- Corneal Suturing Recital Champion
- Intern of the Year Award at Aventura Hospital
- National Spokesperson for the Drive Pink Campaign
- National Spokesperson for the Beyond Celiac Foundation
- Alving Award for Most Outstanding Research Achievement
- Fight for Sight Research Grant Recipient
- Alpha Omega Alpha Inductee
- Phi Beta Kappa Inductee
- Summa Cum Laude Harvard Graduate
- Harvard Gazette Remarkable Graduating Senior